This Coconut Porridge with Caramelised Bananas is healthy, cozy and comforting. A delicious start to the day!
I have another healthy and super delicious breakfast recipe for you today. This Coconut Porridge with Caramelised Bananas is incredibly easy to make and is so comforting which it makes it perfect for this time of year.
Although we’re all trying to be healthy this January after the festivities it’s still cold, dark and chilly in the mornings and I don’t know about you but sometimes (most of the time) I need something warm and comforting to get me ready for the day ahead.
And that my friends is this porridge right here…
WHY NOT TRY MY MAPLE APPLE PORRIDGE
I absolutely love porridge but it’s gotta be sweet and this coconut porridge is just that. I cooked the porridge oats with coconut milk (the drinking kind not canned) instead of regular milk and added a little vanilla and brown sugar.
Whilst the porridge was cooking I sprinkled slices of banana with a little more brown sugar and fried them in coconut oil until caramelised and delicious. These bananas would also be perfect on top of some vanilla ice cream…YUM!
The porridge is topped with the caramelised bananas and some chia seeds then a good drizzle of runny honey. It tastes incredible!
You can also adjust the sweetness by adding more or less sugar according to your preference. I opted for as little as possible in the oats since there’s a lot of sweetness from the honey and bananas. You can also try adding a little maple syrup or cinnamon to sweeten and change it up a bit.
The great thing about this breakfast is that it’s ready in no time and keeps you full until lunch time which means you won’t be tempted to snack in between. Exactly what I need right now 🙂
If you tried this or any other recipes on my blog please be sure to leave me a comment below to let me know how you got on, I love hearing from you 🙂
PIN FOR LATER
Coconut Porridge with Caramelised Bananas
For the porridge
- 50 g porridge oats
- 250 ml coconut milk (drink not canned)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp runny honey
For the caramelised bananas
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Put the oats, coconut milk, vanilla and tsp of brown sugar in a saucepan under a low-medium heat. Stir occasionally until thick and creamy. Add more sugar if desired.
- Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a frying pan. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar over each side of the bananas and fry for a couple minutes until soft and caramelised. Remove from the pan and set aside until the porridge is ready.
- Serve the porridge in bowls topped with slices of bananas. Drizzle over some honey and chia seeds, serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here