This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This delicious and easy Fennel Slaw is the perfect side dish to grilled chicken or fish and takes no time at all!
Happy Friday! 🙂
What are your plans for the weekend? I don’t have much planned apart from chilling, cooking and enjoying the last weekend before everything goes 100% back to normal.
Today everyone is celebrating here in Italy for the holiday of La Befana which means everything is closed and everyone is eating yummy food.
La Befana is an old woman that flies around on her broomstick on the eve of January 5th delivering toys to children and filling stockings full of delicious sweets making January 6th just as important as Christmas Day.
I have to admit when I see photos of La Befana she doesn’t give me the same warm and cheerful feeling as Santa Claus and maybe seems more fitting for Halloween (google it). Although she’s definitely not scary at all.
As the legend goes La Befana was too busy doing housework as The Magi or The Three Wise Men were on there way to bear gifts to the new born baby Jesus. She suddenly realised her mistake and rushed out to give The Magi gifts for baby Jesus but it was too late they had already gone. Ever since the old woman goes door to door delivering all the gifts that were meant for baby Jesus.
See not scary at all right?
ANYWAY…..back to my point of posting this Fennel Slaw. Since I’m not accustomed to celebrating this holiday and as much as I would like another excuse to indulge and eat all day, my body is actually screaming for no more cheese or chocolate (at least for another week anyway). So I have this healthy and delicious side dish for us all today instead.
And it’s sooo good! 🙂
I love this fennel slaw it’s especially good with summer barbecues along side a juicy burger or char-grilled sausages. Although it’s not just a great summer side dish, it’s also fantastic with grilled chicken or fish anytime of the year.
It’s an incredibly simple recipe and I love it this way but it can be adapted with many flavours such as cayenne pepper, mustard or horseradish, whatever takes your fancy.
To make this 5 minute slaw I simply grate one carrot using a grating attachment on a food processor then flip it over to finely slice the red onion and fennel.
For the dressing I mix together 1 tbsp of extra light mayonnaise (you can use regular if you prefer), 1 heaped tbsp of sour cream, a good squeeze of lemon and plenty salt and pepper. So simple and SO delicious.
Have a great weekend everyone!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
PIN FOR LATER
- 1 carrot peeled
- 1 large red onion skin removed
- 1 fennel bulb tops and bottom removed
- 1 tbsp extra light mayonnaise
- 1 heaped tbsp sour cream
- 1 squueze lemon
- 1 good pinch salt and pepper
- Grate the carrot using a grate attachment on a food processor. Flip it around to the slicer attachment and finely slice the red onion and fennel (you can do this by hand if you don't have a processor). Add everything to a large bowl
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together. Add the dressing to the chopped veg and mix together until evenly coated. Add more seasoning if needed. Serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here