This Maple Apple Porridge is the perfect way to start the day on these chilly mornings. It’s packed full of warming spices, sultanas and juicy, sweet apple chunks.
It’s that time of year again when it gets harder and harder to pluck myself out of bed on a dark and chilly morning when all I want to do is stay all cozy and wrapped up in bed convincing myself it’s still the middle of the night.
I need that extra push to make me want to get up, something that’s warm and comforting and smells absolutely divine like a big mug of Banana Milk Coffee or a warming bowl of this Maple Apple Porridge, or both! For me, there’s nothing better than a sweet, cinnamon scented bowl of porridge that’s warm, creamy and delicious on an Autumn/Winter’s morning.
Look at the creaminess…..
I love putting chopped fruit in porridge such as blueberries, strawberries and bananas, it makes it such a hearty and filling breakfast plus gives the porridge an extra burst of amazing flavour. In fact I love it so much I remember often eating this for dinner when I worked late nights in Edinburgh, strange I know. Maybe it’s because I’m Scottish I loved porridge so much? I dunno but now it’s very much a breakfast thing.
For this Maple Apple Porridge I roughly chopped up an apple and cooked it along with the oats until it was tender, juicy and oh so sweet. There’s something amazing about cooked apples, they have such an incredible flavour and sweetness.
This recipe is incredibly easy and only takes around 5 minutes to make so it’s a perfect speedy breakfast that will also keep you full until lunch time 🙂 bonus.
To make the Maple Apple Porridge I simply add oats, cinnamon, maple syrup, sugar, apple and sultanas to a saucepan and pour over some milk. I cook it on a medium/ low heat whilst stirring until it’s thick, creamy and delicious. I top with a little extra cinnamon/mixed spice or brown sugar and it’s ready. Simple as that!
SAVE FOR LATER
Maple Apple Porridge
- 100 g porridge oats
- 1 large apple chopped into medium sized chunks
- 40 g sultanas
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 500 ml semi skimmed milk
- Add all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan under a medium low heat.
- Stir occasionally until the porridge is thick and creamy. Top with a dusting of cinnamon/mixed spice or brown sugar. Serve immediately.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here