Italian Green Beans in Tomato Sauce
Italian green beans in tomato sauce is a simple and super delicious side dish that's perfect alongside grilled or roasted meats or fish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz green beans trimmed (400g)
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (chili flakes)
- 1/3 cup water (80 ml)
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 4-5 torn basil leaves for garnish (optional)
First, par-boil the green beans in salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
Next, Add olive oil to a large skillet, once hot add the shallots and fry for a few seconds then add the chopped garlic. Saute for 1 minute then add the red pepper flakes (chili flakes) and stir.
Add the canned tomatoes, water, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
Add the green beans and stir to coat in the sauce. Continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes then serve garnished with basil (optional).
- Use the highest quality canned tomatoes you can get.
- I used string beans but any green beans will do.
- Trimming the beans isn't necessary (you can eat every part) but we prefer too. To do so, simply trim both ends with a sharp knife, you can also often buy them pre-trimmed.
- If you don't want a spicy kick then omit the red pepper flakes altogether.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for around 3-4 days and can be reheated or eaten cold.
- You can also freeze these beans, thaw completely before reheating.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 531mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1046IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg