Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper
This simple roasted red pepper and sun dried tomato pasta is your answer to a super easy, filling and delicious weeknight meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 1/3 cup (120g) jarred marinated sun dried tomatoes ,sliced
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 small bunch basil , plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 14 oz (400g) fusilli bucati corti pasta or similar
Cut the large red bell pepper or 2 small ones in half and remove the white part inside and the seeds. Rub the pepper inside and out with olive oil (around 1/2 tbsp) and place cut side down on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until completely soft and slightly charred on the outside.
When the pepper has been in the oven for 20-25 minutes bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente (follow packet instructions). Before draining reserve 2 cups/500ml of pasta water for later.
Add the sun dried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, 1 tbsp of parmesan and a sprinkling of pepper to a food processor. Add the hot roasted pepper (remove the green stalks) and blitz to a smooth paste, taste for salt and add if needed.
Add the paste to the drained pasta and gradually add the reserved pasta water a little at a time and stir the pasta to coat it in the sauce. You will not need all the water, it’s important to add just a little at a time and then stir the pasta until it’s just coated in the sauce. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
Once you have the right consistency and another tbsp of grated parmesan and stir into the pasta, tear over some extra basil and serve.
- Use marinated jarred sun dried tomatoes with herbs and capers if possible.
- If the tomatoes are not pre-sliced into strips then do so before measuring in cups.
- Important: Reserve 2 cups/500ml of pasta water before draining this turns the paste into a sauce. Do Not substitute the pasta water for regular hot/warm water, the starch in the pasta water is important.
- You will not need all the reserved pasta water. It's important to add a splash then stir the pasta until the pasta is just coated. There should be no excess sauce at the bottom of the pan if there is the sauce will have diluted too much and will not have as much flavour.