Bombardino - Italian Eggnog Cocktail
Bombardino is a small Italian eggnog cocktail made from three simple ingredients. It may be small but it's mighty powerful and it's the perfect way to warm up on a chilly and frosty winter's evening.
Prep Time3 mins
Cook Time2 mins
Total Time5 mins
Servings: 1 serving
- 1..7 fl oz (50ml) eggnog liqueur such as Advocaat or Zabov Zagalione
- 0.3 fl oz (10ml / or a very small splash measuring by eye) brandy
- 1 heaped tbsp whipped cream , for topping
- 1 small pinch cinnamon , for dusting
Heat the eggnog liqueur of choice in a saucepan over a medium heat and turn it off just before boiling. Pour the liqueur into an espresso cup or a shot glass.
Add the brandy and stir until combined. Top with a dollop of whipped heavy cream and dust with cinnamon.
There are three well-known versions of Il Bombardino so you can go for the original or choose to switch it up slightly.
Top Tips for Making an Italian Bombardino
- The Original: Zabaglione, brandy and whipped cream
- Calimero: Zabaglione, espresso and whipped cream (you can make a larger serving my adding more espresso)
- Scozzese (the Scotsman): Zabaglione, whiskey and whipped cream
- This is not a large drink, serve in espresso cups like these.
- Don't let the zabaglione liqueur boil as it will probably split, heat it gently until hot then serve.
- When whipping heavy cream I prefer to serve it still every so slightly soft and not over whipped. It's a personal preference so you can choose what you like best!
- This is a strong alcoholic dessert so to calm it down simply skip the brandy or go for one of the variations above.
- You could also go all out and make your own Zabaglione, although it'll take more time the taste will be well worth it. You can also control how much alcohol goes into the custard.
- This is traditionally served warm but can also be served cold if you prefer.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 82mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Calcium: 65mg