Chocolate Tart with Hazelnuts
A rich and indulgent Chocolate Tart made with homemade chocolate shortcrust pastry, smooth and decadent chocolate pastry cream and topped with chopped hazelnuts. The ultimate dessert for chocolate lovers!
Servings: 12 servngs
For the chocolate pastry
- 2 cups Italian 00 flour or all-purpose flour (250g)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder (30g)
- ½ cup caster sugar golden or white (80g)
- 8.5 tablespoon cold butter cubed (120g)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar (70g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30g)
- 2.5 cups full-fat milk (590ml)
- 5.5 oz dark chocolate 70%+ cocoa solids (150g)
- ½ cup hazelnuts roughly chopped
To make the pastry
Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl then add the rest of the dry ingredients, stir to combine.
Add the egg and butter and cut it into the flour mixture with a spatula or pastry scraper to form rough crumbs.
Start to bring the mixture together with your hands to form a dough. Knead the pastry until all the flour is fully absorbed and it becomes a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
After the dough is chilled, remove it from the fridge and roll out using a rolling pin until ¼ inch (½ cm) thick. You'll need to lightly dust your work surface with flour. We used flour mixed with a little cocoa powder (don't use cocoa powder on its own) to avoid bright white marks but it's not a necessary step.
Lay the pastry over a tart or pie tin tucking in the sides until it fits evenly. Roll the rolling pin over the tart case to cut the edges (you can also trim the edge with a knife).
Prick the base with a fork then place back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
To blind bake the pastry, add the pastry to a tart pan as directed above then place a piece of scrunched up baking parchment oven the tart/pie case. Top with baking beads or uncooked rice and bake in a preheated oven at 350F/180C for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven, remove the baking parchment and baking beads and allow to cool.
To make the filling
Warm the milk in a saucepan then set aside (do not let it boil) Chop up the dark chocolate into small pieces and set aside..
Mix the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until combined then add the cornstarch and mix it thoroughly.
Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg mixture whilst whisking constantly to avoid any lumps.
Once incorporated, pour the egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan and heat it on a low heat.
Stir the mixture constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is very thick in consistency (about 10 minutes).
Important tip: If at any point you notice the pastry cream getting lumpy, take it off the heat and use a whisk to get rid of any lumps then return to a lower heat.
Once thickened, turn the heat off and add the chopped chocolate. Stir it in until completely melted and incorporated.
Pour the chocolate pastry cream into the tart case/crust and smooth out with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Top with roughly chopped hazelnuts then let it cool. Once cooled place in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight to set.
- Size of tart dish - I used a 9 inch (23cm) loose bottom tart dish.
- If your pastry cracks or splits - shortcrust pastry is crumbly and often breaks when adding it to a tart/pie case. Don't worry this is normal just press the pastry back together.
- Blind baking - it's important when blind baking that you use a weight to keep the pastry flat. If you don't have baking beads you can use uncooked rice.
- Chilling time - the chocolate filling thickens up pretty quickly but cuts better the longer it's chilled. I recommend chilling it in the fridge for at least 6 hours to overnight.
- Storage and freezing - the chocolate tart will keep well in the fridge for 4-5 days, make sure to keep it covered. I don't recommend freezing as custard can split.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 211mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 3mg