Tortellini alla Panna
Tortellini alla Panna, a super comforting and rich Italian dish made with Tortellini pasta in a delicious creamy parmesan sauce. This recipe is really easy and takes just 15 minutes to make. Grab a glass of vino and dig in!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1.1 pounds Tortellini fresh or frozen (500g)
- 2 cups heavy cream (480ml)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (50g)
- 1 cup frozen peas (145g)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous amount of salt.
Add the olive oil and crushed garlic to a large frying pan or skillet. Heat on a medium heat and fry the garlic for around 1 minute until fragrant (don’t let it brown).
Next, add the cream and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a low simmer and add the peas, Parmigiano Reggiano, nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook according to packet instructions (usually around 1 minute).
Keep the sauce slowly simmering, stirring every now and then so a skin doesn’t form. The sauce should be thickening.
Once the tortellini are ready, reserve around ½ cup (120ml) of pasta water then drain the tortellini and add them to the sauce. Turn off the heat and stir to toss them in the sauce, if you find the consistency a little too thick you can add a splash of reserved pasta water to loosen it.
Serve in bowls topped with a little more black pepper and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Variations - common additions are peas, cubbed prosciutto or sliced mushrooms. You can also add extra Parmigiano Reggiano to taste.
- Tortellini or Tortelloni - if you can't find Tortellini you can also use Tortelloni which are similar but bigger in size
- Leftovers and freezing - this recipe is best served straight away. Leftovers do not keep well and I do not recommend freezing.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1426IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 276mg | Iron: 3mg