Grilled Fennel with Lemon Zest
Grilled fennel, charred on the grill until perfectly soft and delicious. Sprinkled with sea salt, lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil it makes the perfect side dish with meat or fish, it can be added to sandwiches or served on crostini, delicious!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 lemon unwaxed
- Olive oil for brushing
- Sea salt flakes
Pre-heat your grill or griddle pan. Wash the fennel bulbs in cold running water then pat dry.
Cut off the green stalks at the top of the fennel and keep any fennel fronds or serving. Do not cut off the bottom of the fennel or the slices will fall apart.
Cut the fennel into 1cm (½ inch) thick slices and brush them lightly with olive oil.
Place the slices on a hot grill for around 4 minutes on each side then transfer to a serving plate.
Sprinkle with sea salt flakes then grate over the zest of a whole lemon. Finally squeeze little lemon juice over the fennel (around 1-2 teaspoons) and garnish with reserved fennel fronds (optional), serve.
- Get perfect charred marks - place the fennel on the grill and leave it for around 3-4 minutes before flipping over to the other side. If you move it around too much it'll char all over.
- Don't throw away the green stalks - these can be chopped up and added to soups, stews and pasta sauces.
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano - added shavings of cheese and freshly ground black pepper is another delicious way to serve the grilled fennel, it goes especially well with steak.
- Add herbs - depending on what you're serving it with you can add different herbs such as fresh basil or parsley. You can also rub dried oregano over before grilling
- Leftovers - will keep up to 2 days in the fridge.
Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 643mg | Potassium: 522mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 163IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg