Orecchiette with ‘Nduja Sugo
Orecchiette pasta in a creamy and spicy 'Nduja sugo. This recipe is super quick and easy to make yet is addictively delicious.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups Orecchiette (400g)
- 1 ½ cups tomato passata (tomato puree US) (400g)
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 heaped tablespoon Nduja
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano (15g)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it well.
Meanwhile, finely slice the shallot and add it to a large frying pan or skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute it on a medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes until soft but not browned.
Next, add the ‘Nduja and break it up with the side of a wooden spoon until it melts. Saute it with the shallot for around 1 minute then add the tomato passata (tomato puree US).
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente, orecchiette tends to take a little longer than other short shapes so check your packet instructions.
Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes then add the mascarpone. Simmer for another 1-2 minutes then add the cooked pasta and Parmigiano Reggiano and stir until thoroughly coated, serve.
- Adjust the Nduja to taste - you can add more or less Nduja according to your taste and how hot you like it. Try it on a cracker or bread before using as all brands vary.
- Mascarpone substitute - you can use heavy cream (double cream UK) instead. You can leave the cream out altogether if you want but the sauce will taste hotter.
- Prepare in advance - you can prepare the sauce 1-2 days in advance and reheat it in a pan while the pasta is cooking (you may need to add a splash of pasta water to the sauce to loosen it).
- Leftovers & storage - leftovers will keep well in the fridge for 1-2 days and can be eaten cold or reheated.
Calories: 542kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 689mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 788IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 3mg