Fried sage and anchovies
Crispy Fried Sage with Anchovies, this is a super delicious appetizer or snack that goes perfectly with a cocktail or glass of bubbly.
Servings: 4 people
- 24 sage leaves
- 10-12 anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 4 tbsp plain flour heaped
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (90ml) sparkling water
- olive oil or sunflower oil for frying
- lemon wedges for serving
Rinse the anchovies under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the anchovies to the sizes of the sage leaves (you might not need them all depending on the size of the sage leaves). Sandwich one anchovy between two sage leaves.
Put 1.5 inches of oil in a pan and turn on to a medium heat. Mix the flour and water in a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
One at a time dip the sage leave sandwiches into the batter so it is completely coated then place carefully in the hot oil. Fry until slightly golden on each side.
Serve immediately with wedges of lemon and a sprinkling of salt.
Top Tips For Making Fried Sage Leaves
- Try to pick out the largest leaves if you're filling them with anchovies
- Make sure to rinse the anchovies as they will be overly salty to eat this way
- Pat them dry to avoid them spluttering in the oil
- Make sure the batter isn't too thin and is able to cling to the leaves
- Shake off any excess batter from the leaves before frying
Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 15mg | Potassium: 38mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.7mg