Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake
An easy Sausage Pasta Bake made with Italian sausages in a creamy tomato sauce. Ready from start to finish in under 30 minutes, it's perfect for weeknights. Topped with bubbling, melted mozzarella cheese it's the ultimate comfort food meal!
Servings: 6 people
- 4 cups rigatoni pasta or another short pasta shape (14 oz/400g)
- 7 oz Italian sausages (200g)
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- ½ cup mascarpone (100g)
- 2 ½ cups passata/crushed strained tomatoes (700g)
- ½ cup reserved pasta water (125ml)
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (4.4oz/125g)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (chilli flakes)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch basil for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180F. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and boil the pasta around 3 minutes less than advised on the packet instructions. Reserve ½ cup (125ml) of pasta water.
Squeeze the sausages out of their skins and brown in the pan on a medium heat. Add the finely chopped garlic, chili flakes, and oregano. Stir into the sausages and fry for 1 minute.
Add the passata (crushed strained tomatoes) along with the reserved pasta water and a good pinch of salt and pepper, simmer for around 5 minutes.
Turn the heat off and add the mascarpone, stir the sauce until the mascarpone is mixed in thoroughly.
Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, mix until it's completely coated. Transfer the pasta to an ovenproof baking dish and top with mozzarella. Bake in the oven for around 7-8 minutes or until the mozzarella is melted and bubbling. Serve with torn basil (optional).
- Try replacing the sausages with zucchini or eggplant (aubergine) for a veggie version.
- To make this pasta bake lighter you can leave out the mascarpone and add an extra ½ cup (125ml) of reserved pasta water.
- Try replacing the mascarpone with a splash of red wine.
- Fresh red chilli and fennel seeds are great additions.
Calories: 603kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1085IU | Vitamin C: 11.4mg | Calcium: 261mg | Iron: 3.2mg