Fagioli all’uccelletto - Beans in Tomato Sauce
Fagioli all'uccelletto (beans in tomato sauce) is a delicious Italian side dish made with cannellini beans, tomato, garlic, and sage. This quick and easy recipe takes just over 10 minutes to make and goes with almost anything!
Servings: 4 people
Add the olive oil to a frying pan or skillet on medium heat and add the chopped garlic and sage leaves. Fry for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is just starting to turn a light golden brown.
Add the tomatoes followed by the water and a good pinch of salt and pepper, stir. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, add the beans and bring back to a simmer. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly and the beans are warmed through, serve.
- Want to make them spicy? add in some red pepper flakes or fresh red chilli to taste.
- Add herbs - You can easily add in different fresh or dried herbs to change the flavour.
- Don't overcook - Try not to cook canned beans for more than 5-6 minutes or they soften too much.
- Dried or canned beans - Traditionally these beans are made from scratch using dried beans but for convenience I use canned.
- Storage - Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days or can be frozen.
- Servings - this recipe can easily be doubled for a larger serving.
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 588mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg