Italian Farro Salad
An Italian Farro Salad made with juicy and sweet cherry tomatoes, peppery radishes, fragrant fresh herbs, and a zingy vinaigrette. This feel-good salad is great for eating outdoors, as a packed lunch or a healthy side dish and couldn't be simpler to make!
Servings: 4 people (or 6 as a side dish)
- ~1 ¼ cups Farro (250g)
- ~7 ounces cherry tomatoes , cut in half (200g)
- 1 red onion , finely sliced
- 3 radishes , finely sliced
- 1 large handful of basil , roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of parsley , roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
Put the farro in a large sauce pan, cover with plenty salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender, drain and cool.
Add the lemon, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into a large bowl and whisk until emulsified. Add the chopped herbs and stir.
Add all the vegetables to the bowl alongside with cooled farro. Mix everything together to combine. Check for seasoning and add more if required. Serve.
- Check the cooking time for your particular brand of farro as it may differ.
- Don't forget to season the water for cooking the farro with salt it's really important for adding flavour to the salad otherwise it'll taste bland.
- Make sure to whisk the dressing until emulsified (combined completely and smooth in appearance) before tossing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Let the farro cool before adding to the salad. It doesn't need to be completely cold if you are eating it straight away but it shouldn't be hot.
- No farro? spelt or barley would be great alternatives and can be prepared in the exact same way.
- This salad is so easy to adapt with different veggies, herbs, and spices so add in whatever you like!
- This salad will last really well covered in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 14.2mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg