Italian Ricotta doughnuts
The most delicious, soft and fluffy Italian Ricotta Doughnuts made with orange zest and topped with powdered sugar.
Servings: 15 doughnuts
- 1 loosely packed cup Italian 00 flour or all-purpose flour (130g)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Zest of 1 orange and 1 tablespoon of juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (250g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- powdered sugar (icing sugar) for dusting
- 35 fluid ounces sunflower oil (4 cups/ 1 litre)
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot until it reaches 355F (180C). Get a plate lined with paper towels ready for draining.
Add the eggs, ricotta, orange zest and juice to a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
1 cup ricotta cheese, 2 large eggs, Zest of 1 orange and 1 tablespoon of juice
Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder) then add to the wet ingredients. Fold everything together to form a smooth and sticky dough.
1 loosely packed cup Italian 00 flour or all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons caster sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 pinch salt
Use a tablespoon to drop the dough into the hot oil (do this in batches about 3-4 doughnuts at a time). Fry each doughnut for 5 minutes until a deep golden brown then drain on kitchen paper.
Once cooled, dusted with powdered sugar and serve.
- Flavour options - you can add a tablespoon of liqueur such as rum, Strega or amaretto to the batter for extra flavour and use orange or lemon zest. Vanilla can also be added.
- Use a thermometer - it's really important to use a thermometer for consistent results. If the oil is too hot the doughnuts will brown too quickly and still be raw on the inside.
- Don't overcrowd the pot - make sure you fry the doughnuts in batches of 3-4 max or it will cool the oil down too much and they won't cook evenly.
- Use a tablespoon or cookie scoop - a tablespoon or tablespoon-sized cookie scoop is the perfect size for these doughnuts. Use another spoon to drop the batter into the oil.
- Use paper towels - it's important to drain the doughnuts on kitchen paper after frying to remove any excess oil.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 35mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 106IU | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1mg