Russian Salad - Insalata Russa
Russian Salad - a creamy and delicious salad also known as Olivier Salad or Insalata Russa made with peas, carrots and potatoes mixed together with a tangy mayonnaise dressing. It's super easy to make and delicious served on sandwiches or as a side dish.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 large carrots (1.5 cups/240g)
- 1 medium sized potato (1.5 cups/245g)
- ⅔ cup frozen peas (100g)
- 2 tablespoon capers (⅛ cup/30g)
- 4 baby gherkins or pickles
- ⅓ cup mayonaise (80g)
- ⅓ cup sour cream (75g)
Peel and chop the potato and carrots into small cubes. Boil them for 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Add the peas for 30 seconds to 1 minute before draining. Run the veg under cold water until completely cold, pat dry and set aside.
Finely chop the gherkins (pickles) and capers and add them to a bowl wth the sour cream and mayonnaise. Mix to combine.
Add the veg to the creamy dressing and mix everything together. Serve as a side, on sandwiches or as an antipasto.
- Variations - you can add whatever you like into this salad it's a great way to use up leftovers. Some common additions are chopped ham, parsley or dill, hard-boiled eggs, mustard.
- Vegetables - make sure you cut the potatoes and carrots to roughly the same size (not much bigger than the peas) so everything cooks evenly.
- Storage - Russian salad will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. I don't recommend freezing.
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 134mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4212IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg