Penne alla Vodka - Pasta with Tomato Vodka Sauce
Penne alla Vodka is a super easy pasta recipe that'll leave you licking your plate clean! It's made with penne pasta tossed in a creamy tomato vodka sauce with garlic and pancetta. If a big bowl of comfort food is what you're looking for then this is it!
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup smoked pancetta cubed (100g)
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 4 cups penne pasta (14 oz/400g)
- 1.5 cup puréed tomatoes (passata) (400g)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (80ml)
- 1/3 cup vodka (80ml)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (120ml)
- salt and pepper to season
- freshly grated parmesan for serving (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted boiling water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to packet instruction until al dente.
Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large pan and add the pancetta, fry for a couple of minutes until starting to brown (2-3 minutes)
Next, add the garlic and shallot and saute until the shallot becomes translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Stir the pureed tomatoes into the skillet and add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. Let it simmer for 1 minute then reduce the heat to low.
Add the cream and stir until thoroughly combined with the tomato. Once combined, add the vodka with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Let the sauce simmer for 3-4 minutes or until you can no longer smell the vodka and the sauce has darkened slightly. If the sauce reduces too much then add another splash of pasta water.
Once the pasta is cooked al dente, add it to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve with parmesan.
- No pancetta? you can use smoked bacon roughly chopped instead.
- If you can't get a good brand of tomatoes then you might need to add a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity, add it to taste.
- It's important to turn the heat to low before adding the cream or it might split. Don't worry if it does, the sauce will look a little grainy but will still taste delicious.
- If you don't have penne pasta, no problem, use any pasta shape you like!
- I don't add any herbs to this recipe but if you want to add some then fresh basil or parsley would work well.
- Make sure to reserve pasta water, this helps emulsify the sauce but also adds a lot of flavour.
- You can make this sauce in advance keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze it in suitable containers.
- Leftover pasta will keep for 1-2 days and can be eaten cold for lunch or made into a pasta salad.
Calories: 647kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 720mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3mg