Italian Farinata Chickpea Flatbread (La Cecina Toscana)
Italian Farinata Flatbread aka La Cecina Toscana is the most incredible chickpea flatbread made with just 3 basic ingredients. It's crispy and delicious on the outside with the most delicious creamy middle.
Servings: 8 servings (2 flatbreads)
- 2 cups chickpea flour (besan or gram flour) (250g)
- 3 cups water (665ml)
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes or kosher salt
Sift the chickpea flour into a large bowl then add a pinch of salt (about ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes).
Gradually add in the water whislt whisking to avoid any lumps (there may be an odd few). Add olive oil and stir.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 2 hours (no need to refridgerate.)
Once rested pre-heat the oven to 450F/230C.
Oil an oven safe skillet, pizza pan or baking tray with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon should be enough). I used a 10 inch round pan (there's enough batter to make two this size).
Pour the batter into the skillet until 5mm or ¼ inch thick (it shouldn't be any higher) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden on top and crispy around the edges.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before removing to a cutting board. Sprinkle with a little pinch of sea salt flakes and cut into slices. Eat while hot!
- Grease the pan - Make sure your tray or skillet (even if it's non-stick) is well oiled. I use around 1 tablespoon of olive oil, that way it doesn't stick to the tray and it can be removed easily.
- baking the flatbread - You can use any shape pan or baking tray you just need to make sure that the batter is 5mm ¼ inch thick. If using a baking tray make sure that it isn't too thin or has any ridges. Thin baking trays buckle with the heat of the oven and ridges will give an uneven flatbread.
- Variations - you can add herbs such as rosemary to the batter to infuse or even add in veggies that need using up.
- Serving - La Farinata is always best served hot straight from the oven. You can simply eat it by the slice or serve it inside a roll or focaccia.
- Batter - The batter is very liquidy it shouldn't be thick at all.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 169mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 2mg