Homemade Nutella - Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
How to make Homemade Nutella! This recipe makes your favourite smooth and creamy hazelnut chocolate spread in no time and it couldn't be easier. Rich, decadent and delicious!
Servings: 15 servings (1 medium sized jar)
- 2 cups whole unpeeled hazelnuts (300g)
- 1 tablespoon dark unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- ½ teaspoon sunflower oil
- ½ cup milk chocolate (2.8 oz/80g) broken into squares
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate (1/7 oz/50g) broken into squares
- 1 small pinch salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
Place the hazelnuts on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, let cool. Once cooled rub the hazelnuts inside a tea towel or just use your hands to remove most of the skins.
Once you've removed the skins add the hazelnuts to a food processor (a high-speed processor will give the best results) and blitz the nuts until they turn into butter. This can take around 10 minutes to become extra smooth and creamy. Make sure you stop the processor every so often to scrape down the sides.
Once a smooth, liquid butter is formed add the cacao powder, powdered sugar and oil. Blitz to combine.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl above a pot of simmering water (making sure the water doesn’t boil and the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
Melt the chocolate then let cool slightly. You can also melt the chocolate in 30 second bursts in a microwave.
Add the cooled chocolate to the hazelnut spread with a small pinch of salt and blitz until combined and super smooth.
At this point you can adjust the sweetness to your liking. The texture will be runny, pour it into a jar or container and place in the fridge until thickened.
- Gift it - homemade Nutella is the perfect gift for your chocolate-loving friends and family. Why not tie a pretty ribbon and label around the jar and gift it for Christmas.
- Chocolate - If you love dark chocolate you can replace the milk chocolate with more dark, it'll give you a more intense chocolate flavour.
- Food processor - I high-speed food processor is best for getting an extra smooth nut butter. It can take up to 10 minutes to blend the nuts into butter so don't worry if it's taking a while. You'll need to scrape down the side every so often until the butter is formed.
- Variations - you can adapt this recipe by adding ingredients such as vanilla or orange zest!
- This chocolate spread will keep well for 2-3 weeks.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg