Mozzarella in Carrozza (fried mozzarella sandwiches)
Mozzarella in Carrozza - Italian fried mozzarella sandwiches made with creamy and oozy mozzarella centre with a crispy and delicious fried bread outside. A totally indulgent and comforting treat you'll be making again and again!
Servings: 2 people
- 4 slices white bread , crusts removed
- 1 ball mozzarella (4.2 oz/120g)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (150ml)
- 5 tbsp flour
- sunflower oil , for frying
- salt and pepper , to season
Add the eggs and milk to a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk together. Add the flour on a separate plate and set them both aside.
Cut the mozzarella into slices, medium thickness. Divide the mozzarella slices between two slices of crustless bread. Make sure no mozzarella is outside the edges of the bread.
Cover each slice of bread topped with mozzarella with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Cut each sandwich diagonally to make triangles.
Add enough sunflower oil to a pan so it's 1/4 inch deep. Dip each triangle in flour making sure to cover all edges. One by one dip each triangle in egg quickly again making sure to cover all edges.
Place each egg dipped triangle in the oil and fry the sandwiches in batches until browned and crispy on each side.
- Frying - make sure your oil is nice and hot before frying. To test it, drop a small piece of crust into the oil, if it sizzles and floats it's ready.
- Draining - because these mozzarella sandwiches are fried it's best to let them drain on kitchen paper for a few minutes before serving. It also lets them cool down, they'll be super hot after frying.
- Variations - if you want to jazz up your Mozzarella in Carrozza, salted anchovies, prosciutto, grilled vegetables or sun-dried tomatoes are delicious variations but this is super versatile and you can add whatever you like!
Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 382IU | Calcium: 336mg | Iron: 3mg