Anchovy pizza with Capers (Pizza Napoli)
How to make a classic Italian Anchovy pizza with capers also known as Pizza Napoli. It's so simple and packed with so much flavour, made with our best homemade pizza dough and complete with top tips so you can make it perfectly at home for your next pizza night!
Servings: 2 large pizzas
For the pizza dough
- 4 cups Italian 0 or 00 flour (1.1 lb/500g)* see notes
- 2 tsp fast action dried yeast (7g)
- 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water (320ml)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch pinch salt
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- semolina or regular flour , for dusting
For the topping
- 8 tbsp crushed strained tomatoes (passata)
- 10 - 12 salted anchovy fillets
- 8.8 oz mozzarella (250g)
- 3 heaped tsp capers
To make the pizza dough
First, put the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl making sure to put the salt and yeast at opposite sides.
Add the water and olive oil and start to mix it together with a spoon or spatula to form a rough dough.
Shape the dough into a ball and knead on a lightly floured surface for around 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Shape the dough into a nice round ball and place in a lightly oiled clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and sit the dough in a dry warm place for 2-3 hours or until doubled in size
Once the dough has risen, knock the air out by pressing down on it with your fist.
To assemble the pizza
Once the dough is ready, pre-heat the oven to 480F(250C) or your highest setting and line your baking tray or pizza tray with flour or semolina.
Roll out the pizza dough and place it on your pizza tray so it fits nicely
Spread the pizza base with tomato sauce or high-quality crushed strained tomatoes (passata) then top with mozzarella, anchovies and capers.
Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Let it rest for 5 minutes then serve!
- *you can also use type 00 flour or all-purpose flour. If you can find type 0 or 00 then look for flour that's recommended for making pizza.
- Please note this recipe was tested and developed using metric measurements all imperial measurements are approximate.
- Serves 4-6 people (makes 2 large pizzas) Calories are per portion
- Makes 2 large pizzas
- Try my instant pizza dough recipe if you're pressed for time.
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 289mg | Potassium: 270mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 404IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 242mg | Iron: 5mg