A winter salad - spinach, apple, gorgonzola and candied walnuts
A flavour packed Winter salad made with baby spinach, red apple, creamy Gorgonzola cheese and candied walnuts.
Servings: 4 people
- 7 oz (200g) spinach
- 1 red delicious apple thinly sliced
- 4.5 oz (130g) gorgonzola at room temperature
- ½ pomegranate , arils removed
- 5.2 oz (150g) streaky bacon or pancetta strips (2 slices per person)
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (80g) walnts halves
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 oz (30g) Butter
- salt and pepper
Add the walnut halves, sugar, chilli flakes, paprika, pinch of salt and butter in a small pan. Let the sugar and butter melt together for a couple of minutes, stir to coat the walnuts, make sure the sugar doesn’t burn.
Transfer the walnuts straight away to a sheet of baking paper and separate the walnuts so they don’t stick together, set aside.
Place the bacon or pancetta under a hot grill and grill until crispy on each side, drain on kitchen paper.
To make the dressing put the olive and vinegar in a large mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together until homogenized. Add half the of gorgonzola and mash it with a fork until it’s mixed in with the rest of the dressing (there will be a few lumps but don’t be discouraged).
Add the spinach to the dressing, toss the spinach until it’s evenly coated in the dressing.
Divide the dressed spinach in serving bowls then top with equal amounts of apple, gorgonzola, pomegranate, bacon pieces and walnuts. Top with a grinding of pepper and serve.
- Don't worry about the look of the dressing. it works.
- The Gorgonzola must be at room temperature (very important).
- Cut or tear the bacon or pancetta into smaller pieces before sprinkling over the salad.
Calories: 692kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 5270IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 247mg | Iron: 2mg