Fennel Courgette salad
This Fennel courgette salad is fresh and light made with smoked scamorza cheese, finely sliced fennel, courgette (zucchini) ribbons, chilli and a simple olive oil dressing.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 courgette/zucchini
- 1 large fennel bulb keep fronds for garnish
- ½ fresh red chilli , finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1.7 oz (50g) smoked scamorza thinly sliced (see notes)
- small bunch basil
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
The fennel needs to be very thinly for this salad so using a mandoline is preferred. If you don't have one then try to cut it as thinly as possible with a knife. Remove the green tops and keep the fronds. Arrange the sliced fennel on a serving plate.
Cut the scamorza (or your substitute cheese) into thin slices. Arrange that on top of the fennel.
Next, cut the courgette or zucchini into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Add the ribbon slices on top of the salad.
Next, add some finely chopped red chilli, scatter over some chopped basil and fennel fronds then season with salt and pepper.
To make the dressing simply whisk toegther the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper until homogenized. Drizzle it over the salad when ready to serve.
- If you can't get your hands on smoked scamorza then a good substitute for this salad would be smoked applewood cheese or a soft pecorino.