Pasta Fagioli Soup
The easiest 30-minute pasta fagioli soup made with sauteed veggies, borlotti beans (cranberry beans), tomato and of course pasta! It'so hearty, healthy and sooo flavourful.
Servings: 4 people
- 1/1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow (white) onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 28 oz borlotti beans (cranberry beans) , canned or pre-cooked (800g)
- 1 cup small pasta shape , ditali, ditalini or tubetti (200g)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable) ( 1 litre)
- 14 oz (400g) canned plum tomatoes (400g)
- salt and pepper
Finely chop the carrot, celery, red bell pepper and onion. Saute the veg in a large pot with the olive oil for 5-10 minutes until soft, don't let it brown. Chop the garlic and add it to the veg then saute for another 1-2 minutes.
Once all the veggies are soft add the chicken or vegetable stock and canned plum tomatoes. Bring it to a boil then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the half of the borlotti beans (cranberry beans) and simmer for 1-2 minutes then blitz around half of the soup for a smoother, thicker texture using an immersion (hand-held) blender.
Next, add the other half of the borlotti beans, pasta and simmer the soup for another 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente and soup has thickened, serve.
- If you are not eating this soup straight away then don't add the pasta as it will swell and eventually turn mushy and very soft. Instead add as much pasta as you're going to eat so if you only want 1 bowl, heat the soup up with just 1 small handful of dried pasta.
- If you don't have borlotti beans you can also use cannellini (white) beans.
- If you prefer a chunkier soup then you don't need to blend it. I prefer a thicker texture and like to blitz around half of the soup before adding the pasta. I like to use an immersion blender for this as it's super easy and convenient.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days or frozen in a suitable container (without pasta).
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 808mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4355IU | Vitamin C: 56.2mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 2.7mg