Fried Sausage Stuffed Olives
Delicious and crispy sausage stuffed olives, deep fried and served with a squeeze of lemon juice and garlic sour cream dip. These stuffed olives make a great appetizer or snack that are perfect for weekend nibbles with drinks or to serve up at your next party.
Servings: 8 people
For the stuffed olives
- 1 1/2 cups (340g) pitted olives
- zest of half a lemon
- 3.5 oz (100g) Italian sausage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (70g) plain flour
- 1 cup (100g) fine breadcrumbs
- 1 egg , beaten
- salt and pepper
- 3.5 cups (1 ltr) sunflower oil , for frying
- lemon wedges (optional) , for serving
For the dip
- 1 small bunch parsley , finely chopped plus extra for garnish
- soured cream
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
Add the sausage to a bowl with the lemon zest and oregano, mash with a fork to mix together.
Rinse the olives in cold water then dry with a paper towel. Cut the olives in half and stuff with a small amount of sausage meat (around 1/2 tsp) then close the olives back up by pressing the sides together, repeat with all the olives.
Place the flour and breadcrumbs in separate plates and a beaten egg in a bowl, season each of them with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. In batches, toss the stuffed olives in the flour then dip in the beaten egg and then roll them in breadcrumbs, repeat until all the olives are crumbed.
Add the sunflower oil in a large pot, test with a small piece of bread to see if the oil is hot enough. When the bread sizzles on the surface and turns golden it's ready. Fry the olives in batches until golden and crispy, remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper. Scatter over some chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
To make the sour cream dip simply combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve.
What Stuffing To Use? You can stuff your olives with many different ingredients. I went for Italian sausages which have spices and herbs such as fennel seeds and oregano and garlic. They have so much flavour and are great for this recipe. See more ideas below.
- Make in large batches and freeze for a super quick and easy snack
- Cup the olives in your hands after dusting in flour and lightly shake to remove excess flour before dipping in the egg.
- Roll the crumbed olives gently in the palm of your hands to create a rounder, more uniformed shape.
- Any good quality sausage (I would avoid spicy/hot sausages as they could be too overpowering)
- Mozzarella or any good melting cheese (for firm cheese don't cut the olives in half, instead cut small cubes of cheese and insert into the pitted olives)
- Spinach and ricotta
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 1005mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2.3mg