Italian Affogato Recipe
How to make an authentic Italian Affogato with creamy vanilla ice cream and a strong shot of espresso. Add an optional splash of liqueur and grate of a little dark chocolate for the ultimate treat!
Servings: 1 serving
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream high quality
- 1 shot espresso
- 1 tablespoon nut or coffee liqueur (optional)
- dark chocolate , for grating on top
Brew an espresso (one per person). Scoop 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a wide glass or bowl and pour over a shot of espresso.
Pour 1 tablespoon of nocino nut liqueur or your liqueur of choice over the ice cream and grate over a little dark chocolate.
- Gelato to espresso ratio - use 1 shot of espresso (max 40ml) to 1-2 scoops of ice cream. Don't use diluted or watered down coffee it should be short and strong.
- Make sure your gelato is ice cold - your gelato or ice cream should be just soft enough to scoop, don't leave it sitting for too long or it'll melt when the hot coffee is poured over.
- Add liqueur to your affogato (optional) - Adding liqueur to your affogato is an amazing way to take it up a notch. I love to use a nut liqueur such as Nocino (walnut) or Frangelico (hazelnut) but you could also use rum, grappa, Tuaca or even a coffee-based liqueur for an extra coffee kick!
- Different topping ideas - If you want to add a bit of crunchy texture then chopped hazelnuts or pistachios are delicious on top, you could also sprinkle over some grated chocolate.
- The best servings glasses to use - a small drinking glass is best for serving this dessert, it should be just big enough to hold the ice cream.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 262mg | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Calcium: 169mg