Cavatelli and Broccoli
A simple Cavatelli and Broccoli recipe made with fresh garlic, tender broccoli, a little fresh chilli and of course cavatelli pasta! This quick weeknight meal is ready in only 10 minutes and is both hearty and healthy.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb cavatelli pasta (500g)
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 zucchini courgette
- ½ tablespoon fresh oregano you can sub fresh parsley
- ½ fresh red chilli finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter (50g)
- ½ parmesan freshly grated (20g)
First, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (make sure it's big enough for both the pasta and broccoli).
While the water is coming to a boil, grate one zucchini (courgette) and finely slice fresh garlic and chilli).
Add the pasta to the water and after it's been boiling for 5 minutes add the broccoli florets .
Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large frying pan and add the garlic, chilli, and oregano.
Saute for 1-2 minutes then add the grated zucchini. Continue to saute the zucchini until you're ready to add the pasta to pan (about 5 minutes).
Once the pasta and broccoli are al dente add them to the pan with the zucchini and add some butter and freshly grated parmesan.
Turn off the heat and toss the pasta until the butter has melted, check for seasoning then serve.
- Add the broccoli florets when the pasta needs only 5 minutes more cooking (5 minutes before the end) so it doesn't overcook (it should still have a bite to it).
- Cavatelli pasta usually takes 10-13 minutes to cook.
- You can easily adjust the amount of chilli you like and you can even use dried red pepper flakes.
- Add the butter and parmesan to the pasta straight away while it's still hot when it melts it creates a delicious creaminess.
- I like to remove the pasta and add it to the pan with a slotted spoon instead of draining it completely because it adds a little pasta water to the sauce and adds extra flavour. If you'd rather drain it then serve a few tablespoons of pasta water and add it to the sauce.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days and eaten cold as a pasta salad.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 98g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 888mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1365IU | Vitamin C: 153mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 3mg