Walnut Sauce - Salsa di Noci
Walnut Sauce AKA Salsa di Noci is the most understated Italian sauce there is. It may look not look like much but it is like a flavour bomb in your mouth! Serve it with pasta or toss with light and pillowy gnocchi or a super simple comfort food meal!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1.5 cups walnuts (150g)
- ¾ cup milk (150ml)
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup parmesan freshly grated (50g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
First, cut the crusts off the white bread then place in a bowl with the milk
Put all other ingredients in a food processor then add the milk and bread (it only needs to soak for a few seconds)
Blitz everything together until thick but smooth. If the sauce is too thick then add a little more milk
If tossing with pasta or gnocchi reserve 1 cup (240mof pasta water.
Once you've drained the pasta add it back to the pot with the desired amount of walnut sauce and loosen it with pasta water as you toss it with the pasta ( you won't need the whole cup).
Serve with extra topped walnuts if desired.
- You can make this in advance and store it in the fridge covered in plastic wrap
- If the sauce is too thick you can add more milk until you reach the desired consistency
- If tossing with pasta or gnocchi make sure to reserve some pasta water to thin out the sauce, it adds a tonne of flavour and helps loosen the sauce without adding more milk.
- I love to top pasta or gnocchi with extra chopped walnuts for extra crunch
- For freshness top with fresh parsley
Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 271mg | Iron: 1mg