Penne all' Arrabbiata is a super simple Italian pasta recipe made with penne pasta in a beautiful spicy tomato sauce that's super quick and easy to make. If you're looking for an easy dish with a spicy kick then this is for you!
Servings: 4 servings
- 14 oz penne pasta (4 cups/400g)
- 14 oz canned whole peeled plum tomatoes san marzano or high quality (400g)
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 whole red chilli seeds removed and finely sliced or sub ½-1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- freshly chopped parsley for serving
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente (around 8-10 minutes).
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or non-stick pan and saute the garlic and chilli until fragrant (around 1 minute).
Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Rinse the tomato can out with ¼ cup (60ml) of water and add it to the sauce with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Use a potato masher to crush the tomatoes in the pan (you can also crush them with your hands before adding).
Simmer the sauce on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is ready.
Reserve ¼ cup of pasta water then drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss the pasta in the sauce and add reserved pasta water as needed, serve with fresh parsley or a little parmesan.
- Use the highest quality tomatoes you can find for the best results.
- You can use fresh or dried chilli for this recipe and add as little or as much as you like just remember you can always add but can't take it away so always taste as you go.
- Although you can switch between fresh and dried chilli do not use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic as you won't get the same delicious flavour.
- This sauce will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days or can be frozen in suitable containers. Thaw completely as needed, reheat and toss with pasta.
Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg