Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is such a classic Italian pasta recipe made with the simplest of ingredients; spaghetti, garlic, olive oil, and peperoncino. This store cupboard meal is not only low cost but it's ready in around 10 minutes!
Servings: 4 servings
- 14 oz Spaghetti (400g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh red chilli or ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus extra for serving
- ⅓ cup reserved pasta water (80ml)
- Salt to season
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions until al dente (around 8-10 minutes).
Finely slice the garlic cloves and finely chop the red chilli (you can also use red pepper flakes for this recipe).
Add the olive oil to a large skillet or pan on a low-medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli and saute in the oil until fragrant (around 1-2 minutes don’t let the garlic brown).
Drain the spaghetti making sure to reserve ⅓ cup of pasta water then add the spaghetti to the garlic and chilli oil. Toss to combine then add the pasta water and pinch of salt and stir well until the pasta is well coated.
Turn off the heat then serve in bowls with an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- As with all Italian recipes quality ingredients are key to beautiful tasting food. Make sure you buy a trusted pasta brand and a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Make sure you saute the garlic and chilli on a medium-low heat and don't leave it unattended because it'll burn in a matter of minutes resulting in a bitter, unappetizing tasting sauce. If you burn your garlic just start again, it'll be worth it!
- Always use fresh garlic for this recipe, garlic powder will not give you the same fresh flavour.
- This pasta dish is best served immediately and it's so quick and easy there's no need to prep in advance other than preparing the garlic and chilli ready for cooking.
- If you have leftovers then you can add an extra drizzle of olive oil to stop it sticking as it cools and eat it cold or room temperature as a pasta salad.
Calories: 529kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 245mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 36IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg