La Piadina Italian Flatbread
La Piadina is a soft and fluffy Italian flatbread that can be filled with anything you like from cured meats, cheese and grilled veggies. So delicious, easy to make and yeast free, perfect for lunch or a snack!
Servings: 4 flatbreads
- 1.5 cups 00 flour or all-purpose flour (200g)
- ½ cup warm water (120ml)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a bowl, stir so everything is evenly mixed through.
Make a well in the flour and add the water and olive oil. Stir everything together to form a dough.
Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead to form a smooth ball (make sure not to over knead the dough it only takes a minute or so).
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap (cling film) and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Pre-heat a large round skillet or frying pan on the stove. Divide the dough in four and roll each piece into a thin round flatbread shape (don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly round).
Heat each flatbread one at a time on the skillet, once it’s puffed up and looks golden turn it over and cook on the other side. It should take around 2 minutes each side.
Fill each flatbread with your desired fillings and fold in half.
- Using cups - If you're using cups to measure the flour make sure to spoon it into the cups instead of scooping or it'll be too tightly packed. Lightly level off any excess flour.
- Baking powder - you can leave the baking powder out if you need to I've made these many times without it and they are still delicious it just helps lighten the dough slightly.
- Rolling out - make sure you dust your work surface very lightly with flour and that there's not too much excess on the flatbreads before cooking.
- To keep them soft - place the Piadina flatbreads on a plate and wrap them with a clean kitchen towel to help keep them soft. This is a great tip if you're making them in advance.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 270mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg