Italian Salsa Verde
How to make Italian Salsa Verde in just 5 minutes! This tangy, fresh and vibrant green sauce is packed with flavour and is so easy to make. Serve it with steak, vegetables, pasta or on a pulled pork sandwich!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup fresh basil (15g)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (15g)
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 mini gherkins (around 2 tablespoon chopped)
- 3 anchovies
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (80ml)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes chilli flakes optional
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
Place all ingredients except the olive oil and lemon juice on a cutting board in a small pile. Finely chop everything together until it's finely chopped and combined.
Add the chopped mixture to a small bowl and add the olive oil and lemon juice, stir to combine and serve.
- Ways to use this sauce - serve this sauce with cooked vegetables, with eggs, on top of hearty soups, steak or on sandwiches such as our slow cooker Italian pulled pork and focaccia sandwich!
- Anchovies - If you're not a fan of anchovies don't worry this sauce does not have a fishy taste it just adds seasoning. If you'd rather skip them make sure to taste the sauce for additional salt and add as needed.
- Red pepper flakes - this ingredient is optional, I just add a small pinch so it adds flavour without too much heat.
- Leftovers and freezing - leftovers will store well in the fridge (covered) for 3-5 days or can be frozen. Thaw completely before using.
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1617IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg