Italian Almond Cookies (Ricciarelli)
The easiest Italian Almond Cookies also know as Ricciarelli will transport you straight to the rustic streets of Siena. Soft and slightly chewy bursting with almond and orange and dusted with powdered sugar. You won't believe how low prep they are and how easy they are to whip up!
Servings: 18 cookies
- 2 cups ground almonds (250g)
- 2 large egg whites
- ¾ cup white sugar (150g)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Zest of 1 orange
Put the egg whites in a bowl with the almond and orange extract and whisk them with a fork until frothy.
In a separate large bowl combine the ground almonds, sugar and orange zest. Add the egg white mixture and mix together with a spoon until it starts to come together
Use your hands to bring the dough together to form a ball. Make sure everything is incorporated.
Wrap the ball of cookie dough in plastic wrap (cling film UK) and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible.
Pre-heat the oven to 320F (160C) and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
Remove the dough from the fridge and shape it into a large log. Cut the log into ½ inch pieces and roll into balls.
Press and shape the Ricciarelli into ovals and place on the prepared baking tray. Dust generously with powdered sugar and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven (they will still seem very moist and pale) and let them cool completely.
- Eggs - make sure to use large egg whites!
- Cutting the cookies - Try to cut your cookies the same size so they cook evenly.
- Texture - Let the cookies cool completely before moving they will be very soft straight from the oven but turn into the perfect texture as they cool.
- Colour - The cookies shouldn't be brown so don't be tempted to cook them longer or turn the heat up.
- Servings suggestions - These cookies make perfect foodie gifts for Christmas or special occasions why not put them in cellophane or paper bags and tie them with a pretty ribbon.
Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 5mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg