Cacio e Pepe Risotto
Cheesy and comforting Cacio e Pepe Risotto! All the flavours of a classic Cacio e Pepe pasta in risotto form, made with pecorino cheese and plenty of black pepper. It's not only delicious but super easy too!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1.5 cups arborio or carnaroli rice (270g)
- 5 cups chicken stock (1200ml)
- 1 cup pecorino freshly grated (70g)
- ½ cup parmesan freshly grated (40g)
- 1-2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon butter optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to season
Keep the stock warm in a pot.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Once hot add the rice and toast it lightly for 1 minute.
Add a few ladles of stock until the rice is just covered, stir until the rice absorbs the liquid and add another ladle or two. Continue adding the stock, stirring and letting the rice absorb it until all the stock is used up. The rice should be cooked through, thick and creamy.
Add the cheese, pepper, around 1 tablespoon butter (optional) and good pinch of salt and stir into the risotto until melted. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Serve.
- Additional flavours - we've kept the flavours in this risotto as close to the classic Cacio e Pepe pasta as possible but if you want you could add in chopped garlic, shallots or onion and a splash of white wine before adding the rice.
- Butter - around 1 tablespoon of butter added at the end gives the risotto a nice rich and delicious flavour that I love but it is optional.
- Stock - you can use either chicken or vegetable stock although I find chicken stock gives more flavour to this recipe. Make sure to keep it warm in a pot as you add it in.
- Leftovers - leftovers will keep well covered in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Calories: 509kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 575mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 271IU | Calcium: 396mg | Iron: 4mg