Panettone Bombe - Christmas Ice Cream Cake
Impress your guests with this showstopping Panettone Bombe. It's a Christmas Ice Cream Cake made with an outer chocolate shell, layers of panettone on the outside and a light and creamy semifreddo middle. You won't believe that it's low prep, fuss-free and super easy to make!
Prep Time15 mins
freezing time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 cup heavy cream double cream (250ml)
- 1 cup condensed milk (394g)
- ¼ cup sugar (50g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 fl oz Cointreau (30ml/1 part)
- 1 cup dark chocolate (200g)
- sprinkles , for decoration
Remove the paper wrapper from the panettone including the very bottom then cut it into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Line a bowl with plastic wrap (cling film) making sure to leave enough overlap for wrapping the cake. Place one piece of panettone on the very bottom of the bowl and press it lightly.
Continue placing slices of panettone around the sides of the bowl making sure to overlap them so there are no spaces, press the cake down slightly then set aside.
Next, add all of the semifreddo ingredients to a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. Make sure not to overbeat the mixture.
Pour the ice cream or semifreddo mixture to the panettone lined bowl and carefully tuck in any overhanging panettone (it doesn't have to be perfect).
Finally, add another slice (or more if needed) to cover the top of the ice cream mixture.
Fold over the overlapping plastic wrap to cover the top of the cake completely and freeze.
When you're ready to serve the Christmas ice cream cake, melt dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.
Place the panettone bombe on a wire rack over a baking tray and pour the melted chocolate all over the top followed by a sprinkling of festive sprinkles.
The chocolate will set within a minute or two and it's ready to serve.
- The panettone bombe should be soft enough to cut after 5-10 minutes sitting out of the freezer.
- I love dark chocolate because the panettone and ice cream are quite sweet but feel free to use milk or even white chocolate instead.
- Feel free to switch the Cointreau for your favourite liqueur or omit it altogether.
- Make sure the bowl you use and the plastic wrap (cling film) are freezer proof.
- You can use any kind of sprinkles you like for this, edible glitter is always fun too!
Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 439IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 2mg