Chocolate Torrone (Torrone dei Morti)
Chocolate Hazelnut Torrone known as Torrone dei Morti is a Neapolitan sweet served at the beginning of November to celebrate All Souls' Day. It's a rich and indulgent chocolate bar filled with hazelnuts and has a smooth and creamy centre.
Servings: 12 servings
- 10.5 oz dark chocolate (300g)
- 10.5 oz white chocolate (300g)
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (300g)
- 1.5 cups hazelnuts blanched or with skins (200g)
Put a heat proof mixing bowl on top of a pot of water (make sure it doesn’t touch the water) and heat on a medium heat.
Break up the dark chocolate and add to the bowl. Stir it occasionally until completely melted.
Turn off the heat and add ⅓ of the dark chocolate to the loaf pan and brush it up all sides to the inside is completely coated. Make sure the chocolate is slightly thicker on the bottom than the sides.
Put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes until set. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl melt the white chocolate just as you did with the dark.
Once melted, add the chocolate hazelnut spread and mix together until thoroughly combined. Add the hazelnuts and mix through.
Pour the chocolate hazelnut filling into the loaf pan and smooth out the top, it won't fill the loaf pan right to the top. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up (it won’t be completely set).
After 10 minutes, pour the remaining dark chocolate on top of the filling and gently spread it all over the top evenly. If your dark chocolate has thickened, warm it back up slightly before using.
Place the torrone in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight to set. Remove from the loaf pan and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Use a silicone loaf pan if possible - I tried making this recipe both ways and using a silicone mould is so much easier plus it gives to a super smooth finish. If you have a metal one make sure to line it with parchment so it's easy to remove.
- How to cut it into slices - make sure you let the torrone sit at room temperature for around 30 minutes before slicing. Use a non-serrated knife to cut clean slices.
- Storage and freezing - the chocolate torrone will keep well wrapped tightly for weeks or can be frozen.
Calories: 524kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 5mg