Italian Zabaglione Recipe
How to make Zabaglione, a classic Italian dessert that's sweet, thick, creamy and incredibly delicious! Made with just 3 ingredients; egg yolks, sugar and Marsala this creamy custard is perfect served with Savoiardi biscuits for dunking or with fresh berries!
Servings: 4 - 6 servings
- 6 medium egg yolks or 5 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar (90g) can also use granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Marsala (90ml)
Heat a large pot halfway with water. Your mixing bowl should be able to sit on top of it without touching the water.
Add the egg yolks and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with an electric whisk until pale and thick.
Place the bowl on top of the pot of hot water making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water.
Add the marsala and continuously mix with a hand whisk until the mixture has doubled in size and thickened into a custard (this can take 5-10 minutes).
The zabaglione is ready when you can draw a ribbon that holds its shape for a few seconds. If it disappears immediately it's not ready, turn up the heat and keep whisking.
Once ready, pour into serving glasses and serve immediately with Savoiardi biscuits or fruit or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Remember the ratio - for every medium egg yolk add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of Marsala. If you don't want as much alcohol you can reduce it to ½ tablespoon.
- Use a large heatproof bowl - the mixture will double in size when heated so it's important to use a bowl that will be big enough.
- Don't let the bowl touch the water - the water will get very hot so don't let the bowl touch the water or the eggs will overcook.
- Keep stirring - don't let the egg mixture sit for more than a few seconds or the eggs will start to scramble.
- Add espresso - you can also add a shot of espresso as well as or instead of the marsala.
- Serve warm or chilled from the fridge. The zabaglione will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 292mg | Sodium: 15mg | Potassium: 50mg | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 389IU | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg