Pappa al Pomodoro (Tuscan Bread Soup)
Pappa al Pomodoro, a Tuscan tomato bread soup made with the simplest of ingredients; tomato, bread, basil and garlic. It's delicious, rustic and the perfect way to use up stale bread. Serve with extra fresh basil and drizzled with olive oil.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (chilli flakes)
- 3 cups passata (pureed tomatoes) (I recommend Cirio or Mutti) 720g
- 4 cups vegetable stock (1 litre)
- 4-5 thick slices stale white crusty bread (8.8oz/250g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small handful fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the olive oil to a large pot on a medium heat. Finely chop the garlic and add to the pot with the red pepper flakes. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, don't let it brown.
Add the passata (pureed tomatoes) and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the vegetable stock. Bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer gently, uncovered for 15 minutes.
Add torn basil leaves with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Turn off the heat and add the slices of bread on top of the soup. Very gently push the bread down so it's soaked in the soup, don't break it up. Cover with a lid and let it rest for 1 hour.
Stir the soup to break up the bread into a thick consistency. Serve in bowls topped with more fresh basil and olive oil.
- Tomatoes - passata is uncooked, pureed tomatoes sold in jars. In the US it's usually called tomato puree. Make sure you buy a good quality brand as you would with any canned tomatoes as it makes a huge difference in flavour.
- Red pepper flakes - you can adjust the amount to taste or omit them altogether.
- Prepare in advance - you can make this a day in advance and it'll taste even better.
- Storage and freezing - the soup will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days or can be frozen.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1316mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1520IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 6mg