Chicken Liver Pate Recipe - Tuscan Crostini
Classic Tuscan crostini made with homemade chicken liver pate. A great festive treat made with parsley, sage, capers and garlic it's packed full of flavour and perfect spread on crostini or added into pasta sauces.
Servings: 10 people
- 10.5 oz (300g) chicken livers
- 1 heaped teaspoon caper
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 large handful parsley finely chopped
- 8 sage leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vin santo (or marsala or sherry)
- 3.5 oz (100g) butter
First, clean the livers by removing any green or yellow bits, wash and dry them well.
Roughly chop the livers and add them to a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, chopped parsley, sage, capers, anchovies and a minced garlic clove.
Cook the mixture for 5 minutes on a medium heat then set aside to cool.
Add the liver mixture to a food processor and add 1 tablespoon of vin santo with the motor running, continue to blitz the liver into a smooth paste.
Add the smooth pate back into the frying pan with cubes of butter and cook, stirring the pate and butter together until completely mixed together. The pate will need to heat through so it melts in with the butter (around 3 minutes).
Transfer the pate into a ramekin or serving dish and leave to cool before chilling in the fridge until firm.
Tip: If you're planning on tipping the pate out of the dish or ramekin, make sure to line the dish with cling film first so you can remove it easily.
To make Tuscan Crostini:
- Cut thick slices of good quality crusty bread. Drizzle each slice with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the bread on a hot griddle pan until charred on each side. Spread with homemade chicken liver pate and serve.