Penne with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Perfectly cooked al dente penne pasta tossed with a super quick and Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. This sauce can be used in so many ways like over a juicy chargrilled steak or baked into a potato gratin but it's especially good tossed with pasta for a simple and comforting weeknight meal!
Servings: 4 servings
- 14 oz (400g) Penne pasta
- 3.5 oz (100g) Gorgonzola
- 2 tbsp (30g) Butter
- 2/3 cup (150ml) Milk
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream (double cream in UK)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan grated
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Pasta water
- Salt and pepper to season
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Make sure to serve 1/3 pasta water.
Meanwhile, put the milk and butter in a large deep sided skillet or pan and heat until the butter has melted. Once the butter has melted add the gorgonzola and stir until melted.
Add the cream and 1 tbsp parmesan with a a good pinch of pepper (around 1 tsp freshly grinded) and a pinch of salt.
Cook the sauce until the pasta is ready (around 3 minutes) and then add 1/2 cup of pasta water. Add the cooked pasta and toss until evenly coated, serve with an extra grating of parmesan.
- Don't overcook the pasta, for al dente you should cook dried penne pasta for around 8-10 minutes. Every brand will be slightly different but always check your pasta after 8 minutes and keep an eye on it because overcooked pasta is the worst!
- Choose Gorgonzola dolce and not piccante.
- Leave the gorgonzola out of the fridge for a few hours (4-6) if possible you will notice a difference in flavour but if you can't manage it you can still use it straight from the fridge.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, not the other way round, you want the pasta to soak up every last drop.
- The sauce should just coat the pasta and there shouldn't be any runny creamy sauce swimming around at the bottom.
- If the sauce is too thick for your liking add a little more pasta water.
- Don't be tempted to add more cheese or cream or the sauce will become too rich and sickly (I've tried).
- You can make the sauce in advance and let it cool and store in the fridge. It will probably thicken so add a little pasta water or if not making it for pasta add a touch of milk to loosen it.
- The pasta is best served immediately.
Calories: 568kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 466mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 1.4mg