Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted Butternut Squash tossed with fresh rosemary and topped with creamy gorgonzola cheese and crunchy walnuts. This side dish is super simple yet feels extra special, perfect served alongside your roast dinner!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 whole butternut squash around 1kg / 2 lbs
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup gorgonzola cut into cubes (100g)
- ⅓ cup walnuts roughly chopped (30g)
- Salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 400F/200C.
Cut the top and the bottom off the squash then cut in half widthwise so you have the round bottom and longer neck then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out of each bottom piece and set aside.
Cut the squash into ½ inch (1cm) thick half-moon shaped slices then divide between 1-2 baking trays depending on how big your squash is.
Sprinkle over the chopped rosemary, salt and pepper then drizzle over the olive oil and rub it all over the squash so it’s thoroughly coated.
Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife can be inserted easily and the squash is a little golden and caramelised.
After roasting, remove the squash to a serving plate and sprinkle over cubes of gorgonzola and walnut pieces, serve.
- Gorgonzola - I love to use Gorgonzola Dolce for this recipe because it's much creamier but you can also use Gorgonzola Piccante which is firmer and a little stronger.
- Not a fan of blue cheese? you can use shavings of parmesan or pecorino, cubes of Taleggio or slices of Fontina cheese. You can also opt to omit the cheese altogether if you prefer!
- Variations - instead of gorgonzola and walnuts you can toss the squash with so many different herbs and spices. Fresh garlic, oregano, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika and cinnamon would all work well. Experiment with the flavours you love!
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 639mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 17798IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 1mg