Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Shoulder
The most tender and delicious Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Shoulder made with fennel seeds, preserved lemon and fresh herbs. This pork could not be easier to make and tastes incredible. Serve it with olive oil potatoes and veggies or on a focaccia sandwich with homemade salsa verde.
Servings: 6 -8 servings
- 2.8 lbs pork shoulder skin removed (1.3kg)
- ¾ cup white wine (200ml)
- 6 garlic cloves whole
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary fienly chopped
- 2 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
If your pork shoulder has the fatty skin on make sure to remove it first. Rub all the herbs and salt all over the pork shoulder on all sides.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan on a high/medium heat. Brown the pork on all sides (roughly 30 seconds each side). Add it to the slow cooker.
Add the wine to the pan to deglaze and scrape any brown bits with a wooden spoon then pour it over the pork in the slow cooker. You won’t need to cook the wine for more than 1 minute in the pan.
Add the peeled, whole garlic cloves and chilli flakes to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
After 10 hours, turn the slow cooker off remove the pork to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Serve with sides of choice or in sandwiches. *see serving suggestions in notes.
I love to serve this pulled pork on sandwiches made with homemade rosemary focaccia and salsa verde it's super simple but one of the best things you'll ever eat. Another great way to serve this is with roasted potatoes, grilled veggies or with a fresh salad.
- You can easily adapt this recipe with your favorite herbs and spices.
- Don't skip the searing of the meat as it locks in a lot of flavour.
- Leftover meat can be stored in the fridge or freezer. If freezing I recommend shredding it first.
- If you don't want to use wine (although it gives the best flavour) you can use stock.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 2435mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 4.3mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.7mg