How to Soften Butter - Easiest Method Ever
How to soften butter using the easiest method ever! If your doing some baking and need soft, creamy butter asap then this method is for you and there's not a microwave in sight! It takes only 5 minutes and works every single time without any risk of your butter melting.
Measure the correct amount of butter that you need then cut it up into small to medium-sized pieces or cubes. This helps the butter soften quicker.
Fill a bowl with tepid-warm water then add the butter. Let the butter sit for 5 minutes.
Check the butter is softened enough by pressing a piece between your fingers. If it is, scoop the butter out of the bowl *see my tips below and your butter is ready to use.
- Fat, oil and water don't mix so don't worry about "watery butter" it won't happen just make sure to drain the water properly from the bowl.
- Always fill the bowl with water first then add the butter so you can get the water temperature correct first.
- You don't want your bowl to be overcrowded so if you have a lot of butter to soften divide it between two bowls.
- I have separate hot and cold taps so I mix some hot with a lot more cold until the temperature feels tepid. If you want to use a thermometer then it should be around 30-33C (86-91F).
- I drain the butter by scooping it out using a slotted spoon but you can also use your hands to scoop it out. Whatever method you use to make sure to give it a little shake to drain off any excess water then place in a separate bowl or plate ready to use.