A healthy, light and comforting green pea soup made with frozen peas, leek and zucchini it’s so simple and easy to make. This is great for chilly evenings or when you want something light.
Soup is really growing on me before I could really take it or leave it and I always thought it was kinda boring. Now I have days when I really crave a nice warm, cosy bowl of soup filled with lots of veggies and packed with flavour. This green pea soup is fantastic, it’s not only light and a very simple recipe but it’s healthy and flavoursome too.
I first posted this recipe wayy back in 2014 when I had no clue what a blog really was. I posted a recipe with a terrible iphone taken photo once every couple of months and thought it was great (hahaha how times have changed).
Obviously, this recipe was due an update so there are shiny new photos (which I’ll probably think are terrible in a couple of years time I’m sure) and an updated post with more helpful information and tips, the recipe is just as good as ever.
What Else Goes With Green Pea Soup?
- Try frying some crispy cubed pancetta and sprinkling it on top to give some smokiness (I mean bacon helps everything)
- A dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche on top is so delicious.
- Chargrill some crusty bread drizzle with olive oil and rub with garlic – these are the best for dunking!
- Cut up some stale crusty bread drizzle in a little oil, spinkle with a little parmesan and salt and bake in a hot oven until crispy. Scatter these on top as croutons.
- Cubed cooked ham is a great addition after the soup has been blitzed smooth, this also adds a nice texture to the soup.
- Swap the leek for onion or shallots and add mint or parsley
How To Make Green Pea Soup – Step By Step
Roughly chop the leek and add to a large pot with a little olive oil. Sauté the leek for a couple of minutes then add the chopped garlic.
Fry the leek and garlic for 1 minute then add the grated zucchini, stir the veg for a few seconds then add the stock. Bring the soup to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the frozen peas with a good pinch of salt and pepper and continue to simmer the soup for 5 minutes. Blitz the soup into a smooth consistency with no lumps using a hand-held blender (immersion).
Serve with some toasted crusty bread for dunking.
Eating a big bowl of green pea soup like this just feels so good and healthy and totally justifies the big slab of chocolate cake for dessert, right?
Find more healthy soup recipes below, one of my all time favourites is pappa al pomodoro, a Tuscan tomato bread soup and poor man’s food at it’s finest. Click the link below for the recipe.
More Healthy Soup Ideas;
- Comforting zucchini potato soup
- Pappa al pomodoro – Tuscan bread soup
- Roasted vegetable soup
- Wild mushroom soup
- Cinnamon pumpkin soup
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
A healthy, light and comforting green pea soup made with frozen peas, leek and zucchini it's so simple and easy to make. This is great for chilly evenings or when you want something light.
- 1 small leek
- 4 medium zucchini/courgettes ,grated
- 50 fl oz (1.5 litres) chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10.5 oz (300g) frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to season
Finely chop the leek and sauté in a deep saucepan until soft, add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
Add the zucchini/courgettes and stir for a few seconds before adding the stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the peas a pinch of salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes. Using a had blender blitz it all until smooth, serve in a bowl with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a little pepper.
- Please note this recipe was tested and developed using metric measurements all imperial are approximate.
- Serves 4-6 people