This is the best tuna melt I've ever tasted! With a Mediterranean twist of artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and olives topped with mozzarella cheese and balsamic glaze. It's so delicious you'll love it!
I hope you all had a great weekend?
I'm excited to share today's recipe because it is super delicious and so easy it can be made any day of the week for a super tasty lunch or snack.
This ain't just any old tuna melt, oh no it's a tuna melt with a mediterranean twist. The addition of fennel seeds, oregano, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and olives make this tuna melt super tasty and will soon be your favourite speedy snack.
To make the sandwich I firstly toast slices of crusty bread on one side. (Although I normally go for wholegrain or wholemeal bread I couldn't resist the smell of this freshly baked Tuscan white loaf in the supermarket and it was delicious!)
I then mix the tuna, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, basil and other spices in a bowl with a little salt and pepper. There was no need to add olive oil to the mixture as the tuna, artichokes and sun dried tomatoes are all jarred/canned in olive oil and mix together perfectly.
The fennel seeds that are added to the mixture give such an amazing flavour, I love it!
I then top each un-toasted side of bread with arugula/rocket and then the tuna mixture. I add some good quality mozzarella and then place the slices under the grill until the mozzarella has melted and is golden and bubbling.
The final step is to drizzle over some balsamic glaze. I love this addition it just makes the tuna melt that extra bit special.
Done and delicious!
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
📖 Full Recipe
Mediterranean Tuna Melt
- 4 slices crusty white bread medium size
- 160 g tin tuna in olive oil, drained
- 50 g artichokes ,drained
- 50 g sun dried tomatoes ,drained
- 80 g mozzarella
- 1 small handful basil (around 3g)
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 small handful arugula/rocket
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to season
- 1-2 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- Put the slices of bread under the grill and toast on one side, set aside but keep the grill on.
- Roughly chop the artichokes and sun dried tomatoes then add to a bowl with the tuna, fennel seeds, oregano and basil. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine all ingredients.
- Add a small handful of arugula/rocket to the un-toasted side of each slice of bread. Top with equal amounts of tuna mixture then top with equal amounts of mozzarella.
- Place under the grill until the mozzarella is melted, golden and bubbling. Drizzle with a little balsamic glaze and serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use Cirio or Mutti brands for the best results and flavour.
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.
Loved this, thanks so much!
Inside the rustic kitchen
Agness of Run Agness Run
Delicious and healthy, just exactly what I was looking for. Keep up the good work, Emily!
Inside the rustic kitchen
Thanks so much Agness you're so kind!