A delicious and simple farfalle pasta with pancetta recipe with fresh chili, garlic and a dash of cream. This simple pasta dish makes a great quick weeknight meal that's delicious eaten hot or cold.
Farfalle pasta is a type of pasta shape which means 'butterflies' in Italian often know as 'bow ties' in English. It's used for both creamy and tomato based sauces and goes perfectly with this simple pasta with pancetta recipe. I've added just enough chili to add a subtle kick but you can add more to your liking or leave it out altogether to be more kid friendly.
The great thing about pasta is there are endless variations from pasta shapes like farfalle, rigatoni, penne, spaghetti, bucatini to luscious sauces such as tomato or cream, ragu, or even a simple olive oil and garlic drizzle. Then there are veggies, meats, cheeses....the list is endless and no matter what combo I choose there is nothing quite like a big bowl of pasta. Come rain or shine, I'm always in the mood.
This pasta with pancetta recipe is incredibly simple, with just five ingredients to make the sauce it's all about flavours that pack a punch and smokey pancetta, fresh chili, garlic, cream and high quality chopped tomatoes do just that!
What's your favourite pasta recipe or one that you cook quite often on weeknights? This recipe is one I go to often because it's so quick, the sauce simmers away whilst the pasta cooks which is perfect for me when I don't have much time on my hands. I mean I LOVE spending hours in the kitchen and I quite often spend my Sunday afternoons making homemade fresh pasta such as ravioli and tagliatelle with a rich and delicious ragú but through the week, time is often very tight and quick pasta dishes are a must.
To make this simple pancetta, tomato sauce, add the pancetta to a pan and fry until it's starting to brown along with finely chopped fresh red chili and garlic. Add high quality chopped tinned tomatoes (I've learned that high-quality tinned tomatoes make the world of difference so this is a must) and a splash of water, salt, and pepper.
Let the sauce simmer away for around 4-5 minutes then add the cream, stir and let it simmer until the pasta is ready (around another 3-4 minutes). I like to add a small bunch of chopped parsley then stir in the farfalle pasta.
For more pasta recipes try;
- Creamy Roasted Fennel Pasta
- Penne Pasta with Ricotta, Pancetta & Tomato Sauce
- Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca
- Speck and Mushroom Pappardelle
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
📖 Full Recipe
Farfalle Pasta with pancetta, Chili and Garlic
- 11.2 oz (320g) farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1.7 oz (50g) smoked pancetta , cubed
- 14.8 oz (420g) chopped tinned tomatoes , high quality
- ½ fresh red chili
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3.5 fl oz (100ml) water
- 3.5 fl oz (100ml) cream
- 1 tablespoon oilve oil
- 1 small bunch parsley
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the olive oil to a large pan. Add the pancetta then finely chop the red chili and garlic and add to a pan. Stir the mixture and let the pancetta brown slightly. Add the farfalle pasta to the boiling water and cook according to packet instructions until al dente.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the cream, stir and let it simmer again for around 3 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan with some finely chopped parsley. Stir until the pasta is thoroughly coated in the sauce, serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use Cirio or Mutti brands for the best results and flavour.
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.