There’s no hot chocolate quite like Italian hot chocolate, it’s thick, smooth, creamy and so indulgent. If you’re looking for something chocolatey, hot and comforting to curl up on the couch with then this is the very thing for you!
When I think of hot chocolate, I’m always reminded of that powdery stuff that comes in little sachets that smells great but is often watery, thin and disappointing. This Italian hot chocolate is so chocolatey, rich and indulgent, it’s so easy to make at home and it’s ready from start to finish in 5 minutes. There’s no excuse not to make your own hot chocolate from scratch and you definitely won’t be disappointed!
Hot chocolate is the ultimate, comforting drink to curl up with on the couch with a cozy blanket, fluffy socks and a good movie. At this time of year, it’s one of my favourite things to do, especially when it’s bitterly cold outside.
I first tried this sweet treat when I was young and on holiday in Milan with my family. We had spent all day walking and sightseeing on a freezing cold day and decided to stop at a cafe for a hot drink.
I ordered hot chocolate and was served a small mug of melted, thick chocolate that was out-of-this-world delicious. It was without a doubt the best hot chocolate I had ever tasted, it was a thick, pudding-like drink and it’s so easy to make at home too.
Personally, I love this Italian hot chocolate just the way it is but you could also add marshmallows, cream, caramel sauce or even a shot of Irish cream liqueur for an over the top, decadent dessert. That’s what this time of year is all about, right?
How To Make Italian Hot Chocolate
Add milk to a saucepan and then add chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and sugar. Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally until all the chocolate and sugar has melted.
Mix the corn starch with 2 tbsp of milk then add it to the chocolate milk. Stir the hot chocolate until thick and smooth, add a small pinch of salt and serve in mugs.
More festive hot drinks you might enjoy
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Italian Hot Chocolate
- 3.5 oz (100g) chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetend
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) milk + 2 tbsp
- 4 tsp corn starch
- 1 small pinch smoked salt or regular
- Add the milk to a saucepan and add the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and sugar. Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally until all the chocolate and sugar has melted.
- Mix the corn starch with 2 tbsp of milk then add it to the chocolate milk. Stir the hot chocolate until thick and smooth, add a small pinch of salt and serve in mugs.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here