Mini sausage pizzas made with Italian sausage, pear and gorgonzola cheese. These delicious mini pizzas are so much fun at parties and are so easy to make.
Sausage pizzas are always a winner and even more so when gorgonzola is involved. The sliced pear gives these pizzas a lovely sweetness that goes perfectly with the salty sausage and strong and creamy gorgonzola cheese. Made with my best basic pizza dough recipe these pizzas have a light and crispy thin base.
This week was supposed to be my pizza week on the blog but it turned into me worrying and babysitting my little puppy that wasn't feeling so well. So instead pizza week has kind of turned into pizza weekend but that's not so bad.
Weekends need pizza, right?!
When it comes to pizza it's so hard for me to choose a favourite. I've been loving my Basil pesto pizza with mozzarella and roasted cherry tomatoes recently, but then there's also pizza napoli, Quattro stagioni, ham and artichoke, cheesy speck and mushroom. Yup, it's impossible to make a decision.
And to make matters worse (I mean obviously better) there are these mini sausage pizzas to throw into the mix complete with juicy pear, and gorgonzola cheese.
Mini pizzas are so much fun to make, I normally make these at Christmas or New Year when I'm making a spread of little nibbles for people. They look so much cuter than one big pizza cut up into slices and they really don't take much longer to make either.
How To Make Mini Sausage Pizzas With Pear & Gorgonzola - Step By Step
First, you need to make my Best Basic Pizza Dough Recipe (click the link for step by step photos on how to make pizza dough plus information on the best flour to use).
Start by taking a small piece of dough (decided how big or small you'd like them at this point) and roll it into a flat circle using a rolling pin.
Place the bases on a large baking tray that has been sprinkled with a little polenta or semolina (this stops them from sticking and keeps the bases nice and crispy)
Spoon on a little passata/pureed tomatoes onto each base followed by slices of pear and little dots of gorgonzola, sausage and mozzarella.
Place them in the oven for around 7-8 minutes until the sausage is cooked, crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbling.
Note: You'll need to cook the pizzas in batches of around 4-5 depending on how big your trays are and if you have more than one tray.
If you've tried these mini sausage pizzas or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Mini sausage pizzas with pear and gorgonzola
For the topping
- 2 pears thinly slices
- 1 cup 230g passata/pureed tomatoes
- 8.8 oz (250g) mozzarella
- 5.2 (150g) gorgonzola
- 1 Italian sausage skin removed
For the dough
- 4 cups (500g) type 0 flour*
- 1 ⅓ cup (320ml) lukewarm water
- 2 tsp (7g) dry yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/1 tsp sugar
To make the dough
- Add the yeast to the lukewarm water with ½ tsp sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast and water and start to mix it together with a metal spoon. Add the olive oil and mix together until a rough dough forms. If it's too sticky you can gradually add a little more flour.
- Dust a clean work surface with a little flour and knead the dough for around 5-10 minutes until it's silky smooth and soft. If you lightly press your finger on the ball of dough it should spring back up easily.
- Add ½ tbsp of olive oil to a large clean bowl and rub all over until the bowl is coated. Shape the dough into a ball and place in the bowl, rub the top of the dough with a tiny amount of olive oil. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for at least 2-3 hours or until doubled in size.
To make the pizzas
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425F/gas mark 7. Add ½ tbsp of polenta or semolina to a large baking tray.
- Take a small piece of dough and roll it into a small flat circle, continue with more dough, enough to fit the baking tray.
- Top each pizza base with a spoon of passata/pureed tomatoes then with 3 slices of pear. Add small amounts of sausage, mozzarella and gorgonzolla and dot it over the mini pizzas.
- Place the pizzas in the oven and bake for around 7-8 minutes until the sausage is cooked, crust is golden and cheese is melting and bubbling. You'll need to do this in batches depending on how big your trays are.
- Please refer to the links in the recipe for step by step photos on how to make pizza dough or how to make instant pizza dough
- You can replace type 0 flour for type 00 or all-purpose flour.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here