Basil pesto pizza with mozzarella cheese and roasted cherry tomatoes. Using the best homemade pesto recipe and easy homemade pizza dough it’s time to make pizza night even more exciting!
Pizza and pesto, need I say more? There was a reason I posted a recipe for the best homemade pesto this week and it was so you could make this insanely delicious pizza! I use my usual basic pizza dough recipe which is so easy, spread it thick with basil pesto and top it with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella. Oh yes, this is basil pesto pizza heaven!
Let’s take a moment to drool at that cheesy pizza goodness for a second….I mean c’mon how good does that look!?
Swapping the usual tomato sauce for homemade basil pesto is the perfect way to make pizza night a little different. I’m always searching for yummy pizza (quite literally) and when I decided to use basil pesto, spread it on the base and then top it with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella I literally left and went to pizza heaven.
The thing is it’s so simple and it’s a great veggie option. When I make my own pizza for a Friday night I usually go for 2 or 3 different toppings so there’s a bit of variety.
Here are some great alternative toppings for a pesto pizza…
More Pesto Pizza Toppings;
- red onion
- roasted peppers
- more cheese (think four cheese + pesto..omg
My chicken pesto ciabatta is another great recipe using pesto that you’ve got to try, it’s perfect for weekends!
How To Make Basic Pizza Dough
Making the dough is very simple and the more you do it the more natural it becomes. First, add the yeast to the lukewarm water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast and water and start to mix it together with a metal spoon then add the olive oil and mix together until a rough dough forms.
Shape the dough into a ball and knead on a lightly floured surface for around 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Shape the dough into a nice round ball and place in a lightly oiled clean bowl. Cover with cling film and sit the dough in a dry warm place for 2-3 hours or until doubled in size. Once the dough has risen, knock the air out by pressing down on it with your fist.
How To Make Basil Pesto Pizza – Step By Step
Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes then cut them in half. Toss them in 1 tbsp of olive oil then lay them out on a large lined baking tray then sprinkle them with salt.
Roast them in a hot oven for around 15 minutes until soft (see photo below).
Take one half of the dough and roll it out either in a rectangle or circle to fit your largest baking tray.
Spread a generous amount of basil pesto all over the base then top with some roasted cherry tomatoes and finally mozzarella. Repeat this with the second half of dough then bake them in a very hot oven for around 8-10 minutes.
Pour yourself a glass of red wine and select your movie. Yass for pizza night!
More pizza recipes to try;
- Quattro stagioni – four seasons pizza
- Prosciutto cotto and artichoke (made with instant pizza dough)
- Burrata pizza with salami, olive and capers
- Cheesy speck and mushroom pizza
Basil Pesto Pizza with Mozzarella & Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
If you’ve tried this basil pesto pizza or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up
Basil Pesto Pizza with Mozzarella & Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
For the pizza dough
- 4 cups 1.1 lb/500g type 0 flour*
- 2 tsp (7g) fast action dried yeast
- 1 1/3 cups (320ml) lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch pinch salt
- semolina flour or polenta for dusting
- Add the yeast to the lukewarm water with 1/2 tsp sugar for 5 minutes. Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast and water and start to mix it together with a metal spoon then add the olive oil and mix together until a rough dough forms. If it's too sticky you can gradually add a little more flour.
- Dust a clean work surface with a little flour and knead the dough for around 5-10 minutes until it's silky smooth and soft. If you lightly press your finger on the ball of dough it should spring back up easily. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large clean bowl and rub all over until the bowl is coated. Shape the dough into a ball and place in the bowl, rub the top of the dough with a tiny amount of olive oil. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for at least 2-3 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/400F/gas mark 5. Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes then cut them in half. Toss them in 1 tbsp of olive oil then lay them out on a large lined baking tray then sprinkle them with salt. Roast them in the oven for around 15 minutes until soft.
- When you are ready to make the pizzas place your pizza trays in the oven and preheat the oven to 220°C/425F/gas mark 7.
- Divide your dough in half roughly with your hands and place on a lightly floured work surface. Press lightly in the dough to shape it into a rough circle or rectangle then using a rolling pin dusted with flour roll the dough out to fit your tray.
- Dust the tray with 1 tbsp of semolina flour or polenta then place the pizza bases on top. Spread 3 heaped tbsp of homemade pesto on each pizza base, top with roasted cherry tomatoes and then torn mozzarella. Bake the pizzas in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden and cheese melted.
- Type 0 flour can be substituted for type 00 or all-purpose.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here