These crispy fried zucchini pizza bites are super easy to make and are perfect party food for any occasion. Make these for a fun weekend nibble or as part of your party spread!
I’ve got a yummy appetizer for you today!
If you know me, you know I’m partial to a little pizza every now and then, OK I could quite happily eat pizza every day and live a very happy life for sure. You’ll also know that I have very much adopted the Italian “apertivo” as a large part of my life, I mean life is just SO much better with the aperitivo. How could enjoying a glass of bubbly Prosecco and nibbling on delicious morsels not be the perfect way to start your evening?
I know I wouldn’t have it any other way.
So today, I have one of those delicious little morsels that I love to enjoy at the weekend with a glass of vino, fried zucchini pizza bites! I also love to make these when I have family or friends over as party/finger food, they always go down so well and there’s never any leftover.
These fried zucchini pizza bites or “pizzette” which mean little pizzas in Italian are really simple to make. I used round zucchini for this recipe which I love, they have a meatier texture than normal zucchini and don’t seem to retain as much water.
They have a pale green skin and are round and fat, making them the perfect size for these little pizza bites, they are also perfect to be stuffed with some delicious Italian sausage and onion.
I firstly crumb the zucchini slices by dusting them in flour, dipping them in egg and then rolling them in breadcrumbs.
I then add a big glug of olive oil to a frying pan and brown the zucchini on both sides. They are then topped with a spoon of passata (pureed tomatoes) and mozzarella then baked in the oven until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
I love how simple these are and how absolutely delicious they are too! I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe, have a great week guys.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTERESTto see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Fried zucchini pizza bites
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/gas mark 4. Arrange the flour, breadcrumbs and eggs into seperate dishes and add a pinch of salt to each of them.
- Slice the zucchini into rounds about 1/4 inch thick and toss them in the flour, shake to remove any excess then dip the slices one by one in the egg and then roll in breadcrumbs until completely covered.
- Add around 1/4 inch of olive oil to a frying pan under a medium heat and fry the zucchini slices in batches until browned on each side. Set aside on kitchen paper for a minute.
- Add the oregano, passata and a pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl, mix together. Place the zucchini slices on a lined baking tray and top each slice with equal amounts of passata and then mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until the mozzarella is bubbling and melted. Serve warm.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here